In this post I’d like to take some time to explain a little bit more about our different 3D LUTs packages, what they offer and how they differ. So bear with me on this one, because it will most likely help you decide choose the right package for you and your budget.
When we first set on a mission to launch Lutify.me we had three packages in mind – Basic, Standard and Professional. Standard package would be a derivative of the Professional package and the Basic package would be a derivative of the Standard Package. Since then we’ve added two more packages – the Color Film Stock package and the Vintage Film Stock package and we have more planned for the near future.
Professional 3D LUTs package
Let’s start with the Professional package. Professional 3D LUTs package is an all around LUTs package aimed at both stills photographers and filmmakers. The purpose of the package is to give an all around solution to different color grading needs. You can use it equally well to grade your photos and videos. It is aimed at photographers and filmmakers who are seeking a wide range of 3D LUTs to manipulate their photos and videos.
This package aims to cover as wide a range of photography and filmmaking areas as possible. It doesn’t matter if you’re a stills photographer shooting weddings and events, or a studio photographer shooting portraits and fashion, this package will cover most of your grading needs.
The same goes for filmmakers. From music clips to events to aerial videos to fashion commercials, this package has you covered. The professional package offers at the time of this writing 94 LUTs across seven different LUTs subcategories:
- Alternative Process – The 3D LUTs in this category are inspired by various cross processing techniques. Cross processing is intentionally processing film in the wrong chemicals, creating interesting and unpredictable color shifts and increased contrast. The 3D LUTs in this category mimic those characteristics although the general effect is subtler than traditional techniques in order to fit a wider range of uses. Being very moody, these 3D LUTs can be used on a wide range of images and films whenever a bold impact is required.
- Black & White Films – The 3D LUTs in this category are inspired by various black and white films. Some 3D LUTs mimic certain film emulations while others take a more creative approach. These 3D LUTs can be used on all types of images and films whenever a black and white monochromatic look is desired.
- Contemporary Color Films – The 3D LUTs in this category are inspired by various contemporary color slide and negative films. Since these 3D LUTs emulate certain film characteristics their general effect is subtler making them perfect for subtle yet intelligent color grades. Contemporary color films 3D LUTs can be used on all types of images and films whenever a subtle contemporary color grade is required.
- Instant Films – The 3D LUTs in this category are inspired by various instant type films. Instant type films were introduced by Polaroid to be used in an instant cameras. The films contained the chemicals needed for developing and fixing the photo. These 3D LUTs are characterized by generally pastel colors, deep and somewhat murky tones and highly stylized looks. These 3D LUTs can be used on a wide range of images and films whenever a bold and stylish impact is required.
- Skin Tone – The 3D LUTs in this category have one major purpose. To shape the skin color tones. Some are inspired by specific film emulations while others aren’t. Although these 3D LUTs can be used on a wide range of images and films, they are best used for people shots.
- Teal & Orange – The 3D LUTs in this category are inspired by the contemporary teal & orange color grade. Teal and orange are complementary colors thus resulting in greater color contrast and overall pleasing and vibrant color palette. These 3D LUTs are characterized by orange skin tones while blues, greens and purples are pushed toward the teal color. As a rule of thumb, anything neutral is pushed as well toward the teal cast while highlights remain fairly neutral, perhaps with slightly yellowish tint. The 3D LUTs contained in this package can be used on a wide range of images and films whenever a bold and stylish impact is required.
- Vintage Films – The 3D LUTs in this category are inspired by various vintage and retro film types. These 3D LUTs are characterized by overall nostalgic retro looks and creamy pastel color tones. Even though these 3D LUTs have a general retro feel to them they suit nicely contemporary subjects. These 3D LUTs can be used on a wide range of images and films whenever a stylish or retro effect is required.
Please note that the Vintage Films subcategory of the Professional Package is not to be confused with the Vintage Film Stock Package. While Vintage Films subcategory of the professional package offers a few LUTs with characteristics of vintage film stock it’s not a substitute by any means for the complete Vintage Film Stock package which is dedicated to recreating the magic of vintage film stock. The same applies of course to any other subcategory. For example the Teal & Orange subcategory of the professional package shouldn’t be confused with the complete Teal & Orange Package if we’re to release one (ehhm, hint anyone?).
Another thing you should note is that the above subcategories are made for your browsing convenience so it will be easier for you to go through the different LUTs inside the package. However, and this is a big one, LUTs from different subcategories can be applied to a wide range of subjects. For example, LUTs from the Instant Film subcategory can be applied whenever you like the effect these LUTs are creating and not only when “emulating instant film” is required. The same goes for the Alternative Process subcategory for example as well as any other subcategory.
A special note about Skin Tone subcategory. While the LUTs in this category can be used as is for overall color grading, and some will indeed produce wonderful overall results, they’re best used isolated to manipulate skin tone hue. Please note that the LUTs in this package that brighten the skin tone are not suitable for videos and are mainly targeted at studio stills photographers who would like a fast way to create pale and bright skin tones.
In order to help you browse the different LUTs inside your package in the most efficient way, we’ve included with every package a Layer Comps file, whose purpose is to help you browse the different LUTs efficiently and promptly.
Standard 3D LUTs Package
Standard 3D LUTs package is a derivative of the professional 3D LUTs package. It includes 40 LUTs from the professional 3D LUTs package across the same seven subcategories. It is aimed at photographers and filmmakers seeking more control over their photos and videos than offered by the Basic package whom at the same time do not want to fiddle with too many LUTs options. That’s it. As simple as that.
Basic 3D LUTs Package
Basic 3D LUTs package is a derivative of the standard 3D LUTs package. It includes 20 LUTs from the standard 3D LUTs package across the same seven subcategories. It is mainly aimed at photographers and filmmakers who are just starting to implement LUTs in their workflow and would like to check out a bit of what Standard and Professional Packages can offer at a lower cost.
Color Film Stock 3D LUTs Package
While the above 3D LUTs packages are all-around packages aimed at stills photographers and filmmakers, Color Film Stock 3D LUTs package is aimed first and foremost at filmmakers. The purpose of this package is to offer the characteristics of the motion picture film stock.
The 3D LUTs in this package are inspired by various contemporary and discontinued color film stocks. Since these 3D LUTs emulate certain film characteristics their general effect is subtler making them perfect for subtle yet intelligent color grades. The color science behind these 3D LUTs has been specifically tuned to deliver the characteristics of motion picture color stock. Color film stock 3D LUTs can be used on all types of images and films whenever a more subtle color grade is required.
Even though the Color Film Stock package is aimed mainly at filmmakers, stills photographers will greatly benefit from it as well with its pleasing and organic feel, smooth skin tones and natural roll-off into highlights and shadows. As a matter of fact, some 3D LUTs from the Color Film Stock package are a few of my favourite LUTs for editorial stills work whenever a more subtle color grading is required.
The package offers 13 LUTs emulating different motion pictures color film stock.
Vintage Film Stock 3D LUTs Package
Vintage Film Stock Package is a classic collection of vintage and retro film stock 3D LUTs.
The 3D LUTs in this package are inspired by various vintage color film stock giving your images a pleasing, soft, retro looks. The color science behind these 3D LUTs has been specifically tuned to deliver the characteristics of the film stock of the 1950’s – 1970’s era. These 3D LUTs can be used on a wide range of images and videos whenever a more retro color grade is desired. Nostalgia is tuned all the way to eleven. It includes 22 LUTs.
Some LUTs in this package are inspired by various Kodachrome faded color reversal films while others take a more creative Lo-Fi like approach for Lomo-ish colors and gamma response. The package is aimed at both stills photographers and filmmakers.
Free 3D LUTs Package
Finally, we reach the FREE 3D LUTs package. This package is a glimpse into our world. It is a peek at what Lutify.me can do for you. However, it is much more than a peek. It is a well rounded color grading package offering some amazing 3D LUTs completely free. To download the FREE package you have to register for our newsletter. Once registered we will email you a download link for the package. We promise no spam. We hate spam as much as you do. Only high quality content, discounts and special offers for newsletter members and a way to learn about new products before anyone else.
All paying customers get the FREE package along with their purchase. There’s no need to download it separately. It will be available for download in your My Account section once you complete your purchase.
With this post I wanted to shed some light on the different 3D LUTs packages we offer, how they differ from each other and what do you get with each package. If you have any questions please leave a comment below. Peace out.